Monday, October 20, 2008

Fulfilling the Promise pgs. 120-162

The reading for this week was very easy to follow.  I liked seeing all the different examples of what can be used to help students.  For example, the first couple of graphic organizers I had never seen before.  I thought they were excellent and would have helped me to organize data better when I was in elementary and high school.  The reading was very beneficial because it gave clear examples of exactly what was being discussed.  

In particular, the Interactive Notes on page 122 made me think about another book I am reading for Literacy Methods II.  It is called Make it Real by Linda Hoyt.  It is about how to read and teach students how to read and understand informational (non-fiction) texts.  It also provides more types of interactive notes that students can use when reading to help them better understand what is being read.  (If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it!!) 

The two ways that the KUDs were listed was helpful to me.  As I am beginning to think about what I will be teaching in the classroom, it is helpful for me to see other ways of visually representing the KUDs I want for my lessons.  

The Menu idea was a lot like the Ticket and learning contract ideas.  I think these three ideas are great and allow for students to have some choice in what they are completing in class.  However, the teacher still has some control over the activities the students are doing.  If need be, the activities can be tiered or differentiated for students.  

I am glad there were examples of rubrics.  I have had them my whole high school and college career but they are not always easy to write.  It was good to see some general ideas all together.  I know it is important for students to know what is expected of them.  I, myself, do better if I know what I need to do.  

This book is a great resource that I am planning on using as I student teach and later on when I have my own classroom.  It has many wonderful ideas that can be adapted to use in many subject areas.  

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I apologize for getting so behind in reading and responding. I deeply appreciate how you have stayed engaged in the readings and in the course. I plan to look for your recommended book TODAY... and purchase it. As I mentioned in class, I think it may be JUST the book I've been looking for as a text for a summer class I'll be teaching! THANK you for your willingness to learn, openness to new ideas, and incredible insights that have deepened my own.