Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fulfilling The Promise Chapters 5 and 6

I love reading this book because it is inspiring and gives hope to me as a teacher that I can be a good teacher to ALL my students.  I liked the quote on page 57, "we rarely succeed in teaching subjects unless we teach human beings as well."  The examples of the algebra teacher afterwards made this statement even more powerful.  I thought about how much more I wanted to be like the German teacher affirming my students instead of the Algebra teacher who just wanted them to be quiet and listen.  I think it is so powerful when the teacher is sure that her students can complete the tasks and learn.  It is so discouraging to have the teacher who doesn't believe in his students.  

We are learning all these awesome strategies on how to teach information so it can be learned but sometimes it is discouraging to think, "how will I ever cover everything?"  There was a quote on page 58 that reads, "We cannot teach the breadth of the entire world and at the same time achieve any depth of understanding."  I love this quote because it is so true!  It is important that we make the learning process fun and engaging while still teaching.  Sometimes I think we worry that every little detail needs to be taught, but that isn't the case.  As long as we teach the required information from the state, we do not have to finish the textbook or teach every detail.  Students cannot possibly learn and remember every little detail.  I ask myself, "What is most important? What do I want my students to come away with?"  That is what should be most important.  I think pre-assessment and using backwards design help with this.  we know what we want students to know before we plan activities.  Sometimes we plan activities that are awesome, but do not teach what we are trying to teach.  Like building a pyramid out of sugar cubes.  Also, pre-assessment allows me to know where I need to begin with each student.  

I like the section where it discusses demanding classes.  It is true that you have more respect for yourself if you have try and work to gain your knowledge.  Also, you remember so much more than if it is just given to you.  I have heard other students from other cohorts complain about our classes being "too" hard.  "They are being taught like master's classes."  And so on.  I disagree.  We are never given anything that we cannot do.  We are not given work just to keep us busy, but work that is important to our understanding.  At the end of the semester I feel a sense of pride in knowing that I completed a semester that seemed too hard at first.  We need to do the same in our classrooms.  Give the students tasks that are meaningful and make them stretch.  The work than becomes more important to the individual.  

I like how so many times in the reading it focuses on "every" or "each" student.  It is so important that we think about each student and what they need.  How can we help them if we do not know?  

Chapter 6 was amazing!  It has so many ideas on how to make the classroom successful with everyone on different levels.  Some of the ideas that I really enjoyed were the student self-evaluation sheet on pg 79.  This is so powerful because EVERY single student can do each one of these items!  Also, another one that I thought was very useful was the New American Lecture Format.  There will be times when I will need to use direct instruction, but I can do it in a way that still involves the students.  I also loved the idea of a "keeper of the book."  This allows each student to have an important role in the classroom at least once.  Also, it is a good way to keep track of information and the students can refer to it when needed.  This can give the teacher more time to help students if she is not constantly answering questions about "what was our homework" and other such questions.  It is also teaching the students responsibility.  There are so many more good ideas that I can use in my classroom.  

This reading helps me to see that it is possible to differentiate in a classroom.  It is not impossible if I use good teaching strategies.  I can do it!

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I love how you connect new and exciting understandings with your previous knowledge and values! I love your attitude about become the best you can be so that you can help your students do the same! I love how you face the challenges head on, with knowledge and confidence that you CAN do this. I agree... you can and you WILL.