Monday, September 29, 2008

Fulfilling the Promise Chp. 3 &4

These chapters really spoke to my heart.  As I was reading, especially chapter 3, I really related to what was being said.  It inspired me to be the teacher who cares and sees the possibilities.  I want to live what I believe and not get disillusioned.  

On page 26, it says that these teachers "see the possibilities more clearly than the impossibilities."  This statement is so important to being a good teacher.  Attitude is such a big factor in the classroom.  If I think positively I can, and so can my students, accomplish more.  If I am negative and think that the students are unable to complete the work, they probably won't.  Possibilities are endless if I allow them to be!  

Sometimes this thought of being the greatest teacher is overwhelming.  I loved the statement on page 26 that says, "such teachers are not perfect."  Such a simple sentence allows me to be human.  As long as I continue to try and grow,  I will be fine.  I won't always make the right decision but if I keep learning and evaluating how I am doing, I will be fine and so will my students.  

I really needed to read the different bullets in the different section.  As I was reading them,  I felt good.  For example, "You are unique and valuable."  We all need to hear that, even as adults.  All the bullets had such a good message.  As I thought back on classes I have loved, these feelings expressed in the bullet points were evident of what occurred in the classroom.  Students will be more motivated if they know they are important and can learn no matter what disabilities or differences they may have.  

I loved the statement, "Opportunity requires hard work."  How often do I think life should be easier.  However, if everything in life was easy, I would never learn anything.  It is nice to know that someone is there to help you through it.  That is my job as a teacher, to be there for the students.  We can be partners and grow together.  We can help each other out.  As I do this with the students, I will learn their individual needs and how to address them.  As we become partners, the trust will build and the students will want to work hard.  

There is so much I want to say, before the sake of space I will move on to Chapter 4.  I loved the ideas presented in this chapter!  

The first idea that struck me, was the statement, "I need you to join me in making our class work for each of us."  By allowing the students to become a part of the planning and letting them know their ideas are important, will make the students feel comfortable and welcome.  Also, one thing I noticed was most of chapter 4 is what we are talking about in classroom management.  Isn't it amazing how many of our classes overlap!  It just shows how important these topics are!!

I will just discuss some of the sections.  I liked the one on celebrating success.  All too often we focus on the negatives. All this does is bring us and our students down.  If we just have an attitude change and think of the positives, than so will our students.  Not only will more learning go on, but there will be less disciplinary problems.  

I LOVED the idea of dialogue journals.  Sometimes I think about how will I ever get to talk with my students all the time and still discuss the curriculum.  This allows the students and the teacher to communicate about topics that are important to them while practicing their writing.  It is nice that it can be on whatever is important to the student at that time.  Students can learn to trust the teacher in this manner. 

I loved the idea of already having some groups in place so that students can move from one activity to another without much delay.  Also, it allows for flexible grouping and students can work with more of their classmates.  As this happens, students get to know each other and learn that everyone has something to offer.  

There is so much more I could say, but this post is getting rather long.  These two chapters were so wonderful.  The first one invoked emotion in a positive way.  I want to feel those same things that it says students need to know and feel.  In the second chapter, it gave so many ideas on how to make this happen in the classroom.  This class teaches us how to be good teachers and how to reach out to all students.  

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I love it when you find true inspiration (and specific ideas to inspire your students) in the reading! Excellent insights in how these things have personal relevance for you.