Sunday, September 7, 2008

Differentiation in Practice pgs. 1-14

Hello Dr. Peterson!

As I was reading this assignment, I realized that we have already begun to learn how to differentiate.  For example, we learned how to integrate the arts into our curriculum and how to do use different models of teaching.  The reading took this to the next level by addressing how important it is to look at everything about the individual student.  For example, how the student's background mixes with their interests and is than compounded by their varying levels of knowledge.  It makes sense why it is so important to look at all aspects of the student.  

I liked how the reading made a point to point out how there is always exceptions to every stereotype.  For example, just because a student isn't a good reader, does not mean they don't like to read.  Also, even though a student might be of a certain ethnic group, it does not mean that is the particular group the student relates with.  Therefore, we can not assume that all students of the same ethnic group are the same.  I just think about how I am Caucasian, but I am not just like my husband or even my siblings and we are all Caucasian.  Why do we assume that other ethnic groups are all the same?! 

I also liked how the reading pointed out that the teacher needs to plan differentiated activities, but still be flexible.  Also, the more aware I am as a teacher, the easier it will be to know what the students' needs are.  I will need to look for regular opportunities to add to the curriculum to enrich the students' experiences with school.  

The reading helped me realize that what we have been learning all along in the education program agrees and has helped prepare me to be a teacher that differentiates the curriculum.  The more I am learning, the more I realize how important it is to add and to adapt my curriculum to meet as many of my students' needs as possible.  I know I won't be able to help every student, but it is important for me to try!

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Once again... you're GETTING this. It will be a wonderful journey, this semester, as you become a differentiating teacher!