Monday, September 22, 2008

Inventories/Pre-Assessments

This weeks reading was beneficial to me.  I have been thinking a lot about what kinds of questions I would like to have answers to about my students at the beginning of the year and than possibly doing it again in the middle of the year.  I started thinking about it when I watched my cooperating teacher with her Kindergarten students.  She had sent it home and had the parents write the answers the students gave them.  When they came for Kindergarten testing, she than talked about their answers with the students to get to know them even better.  

I really liked the inventories in the Fulfilling the Promise book, however, I could not use them in the Kindergarten class.  The first one (where it asks the students to place the phrases into the two categories) I might be able to incorporate some of the same ideas but make it simpler for the younger students.  However, it would be good for first and older grades.  You might have to read some of the questions for the students in first grade, but they could do it.  

On Blackboard Vista, I liked the variety of pre-assessment activities that were provided.  Seeing the one on Rome, made me begin to think of how that same idea could be taken into other areas of study.  For example, before starting a unit on the  solar system, you could ask questions about what they already know, what they want to know, and than at the end they can discuss what they learned.  Even though I liked looking at the different options, the only ones that came close to me being able to use them in the Kindergarten classroom were the first three in the "large variety of pre-assessment" folder.  These are more simplified in that they use smiley faces and ask students to draw instead of write.  Most of the questions could be answered by the students if the questions are read to them and if I explain what the smiley faces mean.  

During my student teaching, I probably will have to write or adapt a questionnaire for the students.  Being in Kindergarten, the students aren't able to write their thoughts as clearly.  I will use one where the students mark their answers by coloring in or circling a happy or sad face.  I will read the questions to the students, since they will probably not be able to read the questions yet.  I am not exactly sure what questions I would ask yet, but I will base it on what I am going to be teaching them and what I decide will be important to know about each student.  I might even include a game or activity where we do a thumbs up/thumbs down activity where I ask questions.  (I would explain that there are no right or wrong answers).  I would use this second approach when I just need a general idea of how the students feel and not individual.  For example, if I am planning different center ideas, I might see how many are interested in different activities, so I can plan activities that the students can relate to and I can make sure there is at least one activity that each student will like or will be able to do.  

If I need to know what they already know about a topic, I will probably do small group activities where we discuss a KWL chart.  Sometimes students know something but don't know they know it.  If they hear others ideas, it might register with them.  

There are so many options.  Since I am in Kindergarten, I know I will need something simpler that can be done by circling or coloring an answer instead of expecting them to write.  Pre-assessment is definitely a good tool that I will be using in my classroom.  So much information can be gained.  Also, I can add or even write my own, if I can't find one that asks the questions I want asked.  

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Excellent! You have a great understanding of the purposes for different types of pre-assessment strategies, as well as a sound knowledge about how to adapt these ideas appropriately to work for young children.