Monday, September 15, 2008

Fulfilling the Promise Chp. 1 &2

In this reading, I really liked how the text started out by addressing who might need differentiation.  The list it gave could encompass every student in the class.  I liked how it even covered students who are fast learners or who have given up on school.  I think sometimes these two areas are overlooked when teachers plan and either their needs are not thought about or they are ignored.  I think that they need differentiated curriculum as much as all other students.  I was a fast learner in school and always got the extra busy work when I finished early.  I did it because I liked school, as did my sisters.  On the other hand, both my brothers were even better than all of us girls, but they had problems being given the busy work.  My brother just younger than me had to be put in anger management classes when he was in elementary school because he would get angry about the situation.  My youngest brother just acted out.  He would refuse to do work, especially if it was repetitive.  For example, if there are 25 math problems on a worksheet and they have already done 10 in class, he would refuse to do the worksheet because his thought was, "Why do I have to practice something I already know."I think in these cases if the classroom curriculum had been more differentiated, they would have been able to get more out of school and it would have lessoned the discipline problems they added to the class.  Going along with this idea, the book on page 5 states, "Learning environment is the 'weather' that affects virtually everything that transpires in the classroom."  If the learning environment takes into consideration everyone, the students will feel comfortable and learn more.  Also, in return there will be less discipline problems.  

I really liked the metaphor from The Little Prince.  It is true about how we have to "tame" our students.  The more we get to know our students, the easier and more effectively we can teach them.  I thought that it was interesting that it said that taming the fox (or the student) is a risk  but it is well worth it.  I think it is a risk worth taking.  As we get to know the students, we can better relate to them and it makes both teacher and student enjoy the day more.  Reading the excerpt, I now want to read the book.  (I bought it but haven't had time to read it yet.)  
  
I liked the comic strip on the bottom of pg. 15.  Students, especially younger students do think they are the center of the universe.  That is why we need to take care of their needs.  If they don't feel safe or important, how are they going to learn?  I think differentiation falls into this category of needs.  With differentiation, we can meet some of their most important needs. One of them being that the student needs to feel that they are important, as are how they learn.  They need to be listened to and respected.  Differentiation can help this happen.  We ARE respecting the student and their needs when we include differentiation as part of our curriculum.  

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

EXCELLENT reflection on the reading! You're getting the essence AND the details that clarify it! I think you're able to do that well because you connect your own experiences (and that of others you know) with the main points in the reading. I think my favorite part of your reflection was where you illustrated (with the experiences of your brothers) what happens SO often to highly able kids... and some teachers get away with that, which seems to ME to be abusive, actually! I hope you'll take a close look at the Hallmarks of Differentiation, and see how they enable you to do more of what each kind of learner needs and deserves. Thanks for your insights!